Monday, December 12, 2011

Dining in Concord

Trust me, the list that shows up as the most popular places to eat in Concord is crazy. Makes us sound like a bunch of yahoos that have never experienced fine dining.....

Dining in Concord

Agreed. There are so many other fine restaurants in Concord. If this list is representative of the kinds of places that are named ';top'; restaurants in other cities, I%26#39;ll know not to trust the recommendations.

Dining in Concord

Well then, what would you suggest for fine dining in Concord?


Probably the best restaurant in Concord is the new Common Man, part of a chain of New Hampshire-owned restaurants that is known for fairly good food, good service, nice ambiance, somewhat reasonable prices.

Concord is not known for its restaurants, but besides the Common Man, try Hermanos for New England Mexican food, Angelina%26#39;s, and the Centennial Inn.

If you%26#39;re interested in nationwide chain restaurants and pizzas joint, we%26#39;ve got plenty of those.


Have you tried 55 Degrees? It is in downtown, we went a few weeks ago and the food is fantastic. Finally a decent restaurant in Concord.

I also love the Common Man, it%26#39;s great to bring travelers since the atmosphere is so classicly New England cozy. My only beef (ha ha!) is that the food is so rich. Yummy definately, but nothing diet friendly there!

Where else? Moritomo is our favorite sushi spot, Angelina%26#39;s for italian. Favorite ';local spot'; is the Gaslighter - a little place with ice cold beer, great burgers and onion rings, and awesome gyros.


This list is ridiculous. I%26#39;m getting heartburn just reading it. Having not yet been to 55 Degrees, here is what I reccomend.

1, Don Giovannis- It has a more authentic Italian menu. For instance, don%26#39;t expect soup or salad. I have been going there since they opened, and everything I have ever had has been excellent. I highly reccomend the veal chop, and if youre feeling adventurous the drowned octopus is world class. John and Brenda are great hosts, and have an exceptional staff.

2, Angelina%26#39;s- More American Italian, but equally as good. The service is excellent. If you only have a party of 2 ask for table 12. It is off in a little alcove. Romantic. Don%26#39;t leave without trying the chocolate pot for dessert. A little shot of Sambuca with your coffee doesn%26#39;t hurt either.

In either one of these fine establishments you can expect your stay to be around 2 hours, which to me is the best way to dine.

3, The Barley House- Yes, The Barley House. They have been open for over 5 years now, and I would bet I have been over 100 times. I have never had a bad meal. From the appetizers, to the entrees, and even the tavern pizzas. Everything is good. Great selection of beers, hence the name. If you have a sweet tooth try the giant chocalate cake. It is more than enough for 2.

Honorable Mention : The Red Blazer, The Common Man

Trust me. If there is one thing I know its good food.


My Common Man experience has been what Left Coasters would call ';coffee shop'; food. I%26#39;ve been there three times. I had the turkey dinner, halibut and salmon. All were good. Nothing to write home about. It%26#39;s just another high volume food mill.

';55'; on the other hand is the opposite. I sat at a table four weeks after they opened. Service was a little unsure, but attentive and apologetic. I had pork loin and it was outstanding. Second time there, I sat at the bar, which I recommend especially for solo diners who like being sociable. I had perfect salmon. Appetizers and desserts are wonderful too. However... if you%26#39;re hungry, be aware that the portions are quite small, and the prices are high. I wound up ordering two entrees because the guy next to me at the bar had ordered lamb that he said was some of the best he had ever had... and he was from New Zealand!


We just left the Common Man in Concord, NH. Had a great meal after the opera at Capitol Arts. The prime rib was outstanding, the duck just average. The mashed potatoes and squash were fresh, and delicious. I agree the Trip Advisor list for Concord is tottaly off base except for Moritomo. Don Giovani%26#39;s is excellent but I don%26#39;t like their vegetables. Hermano%26#39;s also makes the cut. My persdonal favorites are Mise en Place in Wolfeboro and the White Barn Inn (Chateau %26amp; Relais) in Kennebunk.


A few years ago we had a family gathering a Common Man; it was perfect for what we needed. Warm and comfortable, good food, reasonably priced and they took a large group and handled us wonderfully.

This year, we hoped to do the same thing. Common Man is telling us they cannot take a reservation for 16 people unless we book and pay for a separate ';party'; room.

So: bearing in mind the above posts started a few years ago to present- I need some updated advice for a reasonably priced restaurant, comfortable: not too fancy, not too ';diner or pizza place-ish';.

Family is coming from Loudon, Franklin, Deerfield, Somersworth, Stratham...so Concord seems to be a good compromise.


Mise en Place in Wolfeboro was mentioned above and I just want to add that the last time I was in Wolfeboro it was closed..empty closed. I think they have gone out of business.

Concord is in need of better restaurants. So many chains, so few mom and pops.

Siam Orchid is very good Thai food

Johnson%26#39;s steak and seafood in both Northwood and New Durham serves very good food and Richardson%26#39;s ice cream..if you have never has Richardson%26#39;s ice cream, you need to try it.Yum. No atmosphere, very casual but the food is very good.

The Windmill on Loudon Rd in Concord also has good food. This is a mom and pop establishment.

The owner is very community conscious and serves free Thanksgiving dinners to the homeless (has in the past, anyway)

I agree the Common Man is excellent.

Don Giovanni%26#39;s, excellent food, higher priced.

Gilford: Ellacoya Barn %26amp; Grill

Patricks Pub, (excellent)


The Gas Lighter is our favorite stop when we don%26#39;t feel like cooking and want some excellent Greek comfort food! The decor hasn%26#39;t changed in years and that%26#39;s part of the comfort!

Margarita%26#39;s is a great experience. The food is good americanized mexican and the margaritas are terrific! Also, the ambiance is next to none. Its the old concord jail and you can request to dine privately in one of the many cells. That can not be beat!!!

  • ittwit
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment