Monday, December 12, 2011

Maple Sugar Museum?

Hello there! I%26#39;m a Massachusetts resident who%26#39;ll be visiting New Hampshire for a day trip (skiing at Black Mountain in Jackson) on 3/16 and I wanted to also find out about visiting a Maple Syrup farm(?). I%26#39;m not sure that%26#39;s the correct term. Anyways I am curious about how Maple Syrup is made. Does anyone know of a place you can see a tour of the process and also purchase products in the store afterwords? Any help is really appreciated!



Maple Sugar Museum?


Depending on the weather local sugar houses may be boiling. You can usually tell by the amount of steam being released and most syrup makers will be happy to give you all the details. I would just stop and talk to the producer. The last weekend in March is traditionally the official NH Maple Syrup Weekend and many sugar houses all across the state will be participating in an open house.



Maple Sugar Museum?


On my drive from Peterborough to Keene Sunday I saw several houses already boiling...very exciting time of year to me!





This site is a good resource: http://www.nhmapleproducers.com/




NE Weaver,





I have never been but do you know about Stonewall Farm%26#39;s Sap Gathering Contest on March 28th. Sounds like a lot of fun for kids and adults!





Here%26#39;s the link to the event:



stonewallfarm.org/…SapGatheringPressRelease




I am not sure where in MA you are located but you might want to check out Parker%26#39;s Maple Barn, in Mason, NH. They offer a brief tour of the Sugar House on the weekends form Mid March - April. It is worth a stop. They also have a restaurant and a gift shop. I would probably save this for another trip since it is a 3 hour drive to Jackson from here and this is a very popular time to visit Parker%26#39;s.





Also, I heard that a some Maple sugar shacks and trees throughout NH were damaged from this past December%26#39;s Ice storm.





https://www.parkersmaplebarn.com/index.php




While listening to NPR Radio this week, my wife heard that 99% of the maple trees and taps in NH were fine. I think in our area, the Eastern part of the Monadnock Region we might have been hit the hardest but even here many of the sugar houses are active.





I like Parker%26#39;s Maple Barn too but have never gone for anything other than breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment